This course will help you to develop or improve your skills and gain confidence for planning and running meetings successfully.
What will you learn from this course?
- How to prepare for meetings.
- How to lead meetings at work.
- How to manage the life cycle of a meeting.
- Best practices for meetings.
- Characteristics of bad meetings.
What will the course cover?
Part 1: What to do Before the Meeting
- Identify the purpose of the meeting.
- Prepare an agenda and meeting objectives.
- Determine the meeting date, time, duration and location.
- Invite relevant participants.
- Identify visual aids needed and technology requirements.
- Track RSVP’s, apologies and send meeting reminders.
- Assign meeting roles – leader/facilitator, note taker and time keeper.
Part 2: What to do During the Meeting
- Starting on time and reviewing the agenda.
- Reviewing previous minutes and actions assigned.
- Recording meeting attendance, note taking and writing minutes.
- Handling remote participants.
- Facilitating participation by all.
- Staying on track, managing sidebars, going off topic and distractions.
- Delegating action items, tasks and deadlines to attendees.
- Recapping meeting, key outcomes achieved and next steps.
Ending the meeting on time.
Part 3: What to do After the Meeting
- Sending minutes.
- Filing minutes, meeting notes, agendas and presentation handouts.
- Following-up on assigned action tasks.
- Reflect on improving your performance from one meeting to the next.
- Planning for the next meeting: tentative dates, participants’ list and draft agenda.
Part 4: Practical Advice for Meetings
- How to prepare and manage a meeting agenda.
- How to prepare meeting ground rules.
- How to lead a meeting at work.
- How to take notes in a meeting.
- How to write minutes.
- How to encourage participation in a meeting.
- How to end a meeting.
- How to handle meeting overload and back-to-back meetings.
- How to manage one-on-one meetings.
Part 5: Tips for Productive Meetings
- Reasons to have a meeting.
- 20 Best practices for meetings/meeting etiquette.
- 25 Characteristics of bad meetings/meeting mistakes.
- 20 Types of personalities in meetings.
- Mediating conflicts in meetings.
- Roles of the leader or facilitator role and participants.
- Accommodating a key participant who is leaving early.
- Fear of speaking up in a meeting.
- Brainstorming during meetings.
- Recording meetings – audio or video.
- Managing off topic items.
- The sweet spot/length of meetings.
- Organizing layout/arrangement of meeting room.
- When technology fails you.
- The late attendees.
- Can a meeting end early?
- Round robins – to do or not to do them?
- What is the best time to have a weekly meeting?
- Death to the meeting after the meeting.
- Rescheduling, postponing or canceling meetings.
- When you run out of time during a meeting.
- Working lunch meetings.
- Time zone considerations when planning meetings.
Part 6: Running Virtual Meetings
- Inviting participants, sending call-in details and agenda beforehand.
- Providing your contact details in case someone has to reach you.
- Testing the equipment before the meeting.
- Conducting roll call at the beginning.
- Adopting meeting norms.
- Ending the virtual meeting.
Part 7: Types of Meetings at Work
- One-on-one meetings.
- Team/Departmental meetings.
- Management and Leadership team meetings.
- All staff meetings.
- Board meetings.
- Annual meetings.
- Project meetings (offsite retreats etc.).
- Business meetings (vendors, suppliers, clients, customers etc.).
- Emergency meetings.
Who will benefit from this course?
- This course is designed for individuals looking to improve their skills and confidence in planning and running meetings efficiently.